Se usa wish por muchas razones. Querríamos que las cosas fueran diferentes o, a veces, desearíamos cosas imposibles o muy poco probables.En esta lección, aprenderemos el uso de wish y sus diferentes estructuras.
Tabla de contenidos
Uso de wish en Expresiones comunes en inglés
Para desear a alguien suerte / éxito / feliz cumpleaños, etc.
I wish you a happy birthday.
Lisa wishes you good luck on your exams.
We wish you in every success that you have.
Uso de Wish con el pasado simple
Se usa Wish para decir que lamentamos algo y que queremos que la situación en el presente o en el futuro sea diferente. Se usa el pasado simple del verbo (simple past) , pero el significado es presente o futuro.
I wish I spoke Italian. (I don’t speak Italian.)
I wish we had a big car. (We don’t have a big car.)
I wish I were at the beach. (I’m not at the beach.)
I wish I didn’t have to work today. (I have to work today.)
Uso de Wish con el pasado continuo
Se usa wish + pasado continuo (past continuous) (were + verb –ing) para expresar que queremos estar haciendo una acción diferente en el presente o en el futuro.
I wish we were lying on the beach. (We’re working in the office now.)
I wish it weren’t raining. (It’s raining now.)
I wish you weren’t leaving for the US tomorrow. (You are leaving tomorrow.)
Uso de Wish con could
Se usa wish con could para decir que lamentamos que no podamos hacer algo en el presente o en el futuro.
I’m sorry. I really have to go. I wish I could stay longer. (But I can’t stay longer.)
I wish I could remember her name. (But I can’t remember her name.)
Uso de Wish + could have + participio pasado
Se usa wish con could have + participio pasado del verbo) para decir que lamentamos no haber podido hacer algo en el pasado.
I hear the party was amazing. I wish I could have attended it.
Jack wishes he could have some to say goodbye but he’s not feeling very well.
I wish we could have spent more time together.
Uso de Wish + pasado perfecto
Se usa wish con el pasado perfecto (past perfect) (had + participio pasado del verbo) para expresar un arrepentimiento, o queremos que una situación en el pasado sea diferente.
I wish I hadn’t eaten so much at breakfast this morning.
I wish they had come for the holidays.
I wish I had studied harder in law school.
Uso de Wish con would
Se usa wish con would para quejarnos de una situación, para expresar impaciencia, enfado o insatisfacción con una acción presente.
I wish you would stop smoking.
I wish the children would hurry up.
I wish you would be quiet. I can’t focus on my review.
I wish Lisa would come home tonight.
Wish y hope
Se usa wish para “desear que algo ocurra.” También se puede usar hope en esta situación.
I wish / hope you get this letter before the holiday is over.
I wish / hope the surgery goes well.
Elige la respuesta correcta.
I wish I _____ play the guitar. (could)
a.would b. would
I wish they _____ be quiet. I can’t focus on my review here. (would)
a.would b. would
I wish I ____ that yesterday. (hadn’t done)
a.didn’t do b. hadn’t done
I wish I ____ at home now. (were)
a.am b. were
I wish we _____ the time to attend the family reunion next week. (had)
a.will have b. had
I wish she _____ to visit us last Saturday. (could have come)
a.could have come b. could come
He wished he _____ our appointment last week. (hadn’t forgotten)
a.hadn’t forgotten b. didn’t forget
I wish I ______ you, but my hands are full. (could help)
a.could have helped b. could help
I wish it ____ soon. (would end)
a.would end b. will end
They wished he _______ skiing with them, but he got sick. (could have come)
a.could have come b. came
Escribe el tiempo correcto del verbo.
- I wish we ______ (buy) this car. This is very noisy and needs a lot of extra care. (hadn’t bought)
- I wish we _______ (not have to) stay at home this summer, but we already spent too much last year. (didn’t have to)
- I wish we ______ (not tell) you the truth. What you don’t know won’t hurt you. (hadn’t told)
- I wish you _______ (be) here. This is such a beautiful country. (were)
- I wish she _______ (study) hard. She would have gotten a higher score. (had studied)
- I wish I ______ (know) the answer to your problem, but I can only give you some advice. (knew)
- I wish I ____ (have) a car, but I don’t have one. (had)
- I wish I ____ (not be) at work. (weren’t)
- I wish I ______ (not buy) these shoes. They don’t look good on me. (hadn’t bought)
- I wish I ______ (afford) to go on a trip this holiday, but I don’t have enough savings. (could afford)
Ejercicio de Speaking
1. Talk about the things you wish didn’t happen in your life now.
2. What are some of the things that you wished for when you were young and really happened?
3. What are some of the things you wish for your family and close friends?
4. What part of your body you wish you never had or were different?
5. Why do people make a wish? Are wishes important?