Tabla de contenidos
Ejemplos de PHRASAL VERBS con verbo UP
|Phrasal Verbs con verbo up
|Significado y ejemplo
|limpiar y ordenar
|Please clear up all these toys and get ready for bed.
|eliminar la basura o la suciedad del piso con un cepillo
|We sweep up the floor before and after office hours.
|ordenar un área
|I have to tidy up my room before my mom arrives.
|mezclar de una manera desordenada
|I don’t know what to do with your room. Your clothes are all jumbled up.
|colgar la ropa en un gancho
|Don’t forget to hang up your shirts or else they’ll get creased.
|The toilet is clogged up. Call the plumber.
|agotado un suministro de algo
|We don’t have milk in the pantry. Everything is used up.
|She didn’t show up for her blind date.
|She turned up at the meeting although no one had asked her to come.
|abrir un nuevo negocio o tienda
|After graduating university, she opened up her own clothing store.
|hacer algo más emocionante o interesante
|When Terry put on some music at the party last night, the atmosphere livened up.
|set up (n)
|la forma en que se arregla algo
|I don’t like the new set up of the furniture in my office.
|We set up our own business after we retired from our respective jobs.
|separar algo en pequeños grupos
|We have to divide up the different tasks in the project so we can finish it on time.
|You have to chop up the meat before you put it in the stew.
|This man came up to me in the street and started shouting at me!
I went up to a policeman and tried to tell him what happened.
|moverse más rápido que alguien delante de ti para alcanzarlo
|I ran after my boss as she left the office but I couldn’t catch up with her!
|keep up with
|continuar a la misma velocidad o nivel
|Please walk slower. I can’t keep up with you.
|empezar a hacer algo
|After her cycling accident, she took up driving lessons.
|Paul fixed up a meeting with the box to discuss the deadlines.
|convertirse en adulto
|He grew up to be a fine man.
|lavar los platos, etc.
|I’ll have my sister wash up after dinner.
|dejar de intentar o hacer algo
|Don’t give up on your dreams.
be made up of
|Children under 15 make up a quarter of the population in the town.
Air is made up of nitrogen and oxygen.
cheer somebody up
|alegrarse; animar a alguien
|Hey cheer up! It’s not the end of the world yet.
The students cheered their teacher up after what happened to her family.
|ahorrar dinero para comprar algo
|If you want to buy your dream car, you have to save up.
|The engine caught fire and blew up.
|tear something up
|rasgar en pedazos
|Because she was so angry, she tore the papers up.
|beat somebody up
|golpear a alguien
|The men beat the thief up after he had snatched the lady’s bag.
|separarse; romper una relación
|Lynn and Frank broke up after five years.
|abrochar o atar los cordones, botones, etc.
|My daughter could do up her shoelaces alone when she was two.
|reparar y mejorar algo
|The house looks so much better now that you’ve done it up.
|put up with something/somebody
|I’m sorry, but I can’t put up with her behavior.
|The plan was held up due to the lack of money.
Ejercicios de Phrasal verbs con verbo UP
Une la columna A con la columna B.
Elige el correcto phrasal verb para completar la oración.
- If you want to achieve your dreams, continue what you are doing. You’re on the right track, so don’t _____. (give up)
- give up b. save up c. blow up
- After ten years of marriage, they decided to ______. They aren’t happy with each other anymore. (break up)
- hold up b. break up c. cheer up
- Every time I feel down, my kids are there to ____________. (cheer me up)
- cheer me up b. tear me up c. blow me up
- Let your brother ______ the dishes, and you tidy up your room. (wash up)
- wash up b. fix up c. blow up
- Please slow down! You’re walking too fast, I can’t ________ you. (keep up)
- keep up b. tear up c. save up
- I’m sorry. I can’t _____ with her rude behavior towards the customers. I have to fire her. (put up)
- put up b. give up c. fix up
- You know what? Your frequent absences ______ the release of the new project. (held up)
- saved up b. held up c. gave up
- I like the _______ of the bedroom. Everything is arranged according to my plan. (set up)
- set up b. hold up c. chop up
- As soon as I graduated university, I ______ my own clothing store. Everything is going smoothly until now. (set up)
- fix up b. set up c. hold up
- She _______ to be a strong woman. Someday she’ll be the president, I’m sure of it! (has grown up)
- has grown up b. has saved up c. has fixed up
Ejercicios de comunicación
- Do you still remember the answer of the question, “When you grow up, what will you become”? Tell more about it.
- Have you experienced being held up in the airport for a long period of time? What was the reason?
- If you wanted to save up for something that you badly want to buy, what would it be? Why?
- Have you experienced feeling such an extreme anger that you almost blew up? Elaborate.
- In your country, what age group makes up the majority of the population? What is its impact to the future generation?